Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bettina's Visit

Sometime in September, a beauty from Germany landed in
the good ol' USA via O'Hare Airport.



















Was she here to see Chicago . . .



















or to see me? I like to believe both since we both are stunningly fabulous!














Two days after she arrived, jet lag and all, she jogged for seven miles (aka 11km). If you look close enough you'll see her on the sidewalk jogging past a McDonald's with the American flag - she is definitely in the US!














As I went off to work, Bettina toured Chicago.
But for one day, we left the urban area for the
Indiana Dunes - good idea Bettina.




















Let's move back a little so you can see that we really were at the Dunes and not in the Sahara.




















It was the hottest day of her visit and we hiked up and down those dunes.
I was sweating like a pig (although I have no idea how a pig sweats).
Bettina was sweating like a tsetse fly (again, I have no idea how a tsetse fly
sweats but it has to be less than a pig).




















We ended the visit to the Dunes with a dip in the lake and a picnic under the umbrella.















Another outing together was to Frank Lloyd Wright's Oak Park neighborhood.
Again, good idea Bettina.














These photos are taken before the torrential rain hit.














We also spent an evening with Kris along the lakefront (that big black mass in the background is Lake Michigan) for a glass of wine, chips and dip, and fun conversation.














Most days after work for me and days touring Chicago for Bettina ended with a visit with my ever engaging parents.



























Her last day started with a leisurely breakfast.




















And then a walk on Northwestern University's lakefront where student graffiti riddles the rocks.




















The conclusion before packing her bags to leave for O'Hare, over the Atlantic, and back to Germany were spent lounging on a bench in a park on Evanston's lakefront.
It was a good day.
It was a good visit.
I'm lucky to count Bettina as a friend.
I'm unlucky that she lives so far away.
Oh yea, one more thing, I'm lucky her English is so good.












Bis später my friend.

No comments: