Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sister Roadtrip

Goodmorning Hannah!!!
Or maybe not :(


That's better!
We dropped Hannah off at school and headed for the open road


for our sister road trip.


Three states in one day - Illinois, Indiana,


Michigan, oops that's not in the plan,


and then Ohio.
We missed the state sign so this Ohio "sign"
on the side of a barn
photographed through a bug encrusted window
will have to do,
and by "we", I mean Teresa.


Along the way we stopped at a rest stop for a picnic,


but we forgot the butter,
and by "we" I mean me.
Sorry Teresa, but I did remember my mayonaise!


Our next stop, Starbucks, as Teresa searches for a Diet Coke replacement.
She's a trooper, but that cup was pretty full when it got pitched,
and we drank our share of Diet Coke that weekend - oh, behave!


Next, one of my favorite fruit stands, Haslinger Orchards.
A stand where a bite into one of their apples, pears, or plums results in juice running down your arm; where their tomatoes taste like tomatoes;
and where the prices aren't "Whole Foodish" but the food is.


And then we made it to my baby - all fixed up and ready to go home.
Isn't she a beauty?


Several repairs and embelishments were made.
My parents added to her upgrades with tires as my Christmas present,
and


a new Zip-Dee fan with lights on the side for my birthday.
I am sooo wonderfully spoiled!!!
Thanks Mom & Dad!






That night we made it to the Elkhart County Fairgrounds in time to set-up, cozy-up, and have a tasty and quick meal of Whole Foods hotdogs, wheat buns, and fresh green beans. The hotdogs being from Whole Foods make them guilt free - it's true. Really.





All too soon it was time to read in bed for a while.


Once the books were put away, we fell asleep to
the sounds of Sherlock Holmes.
How sublime.


We awoke around 7:00 AM to an already bustling fairgrounds where
the Mennonite Relief Sale was in full swing.


Our first priority was to make it to the Quilt Auction.
Notice the woman standing in the far left of the picture.
That's my sister Teresa!








A request went out for volunteers to help deliver the quilts to the winners. Teresa stood right up and headed for the auction block. I LOVE that about her! She participates fully in life.






This fair was Barrels of Fun for all!!


After lunch we drove through Amish land, wandering the back roads
as we made our way to Shipshawana.


The sites were beautiful, unique (from a big city perspective) and interesting.


Some right out of a Master's painting.


Some not.
This one's for you, Sarah.


We visited the quilter's mothership, Lolly's, and life was good.
(Although I hear there are many quilter's motherships.)


After a day of Amishing, we once again cozied up in the beautiful Q-stream.
Teresa worked on her quilt for her eldest, oh so special daughter, Sarah.


Nice gadget Teres.
What is that?
A needle threader?
Why do you need it?
Your eyes ain't what they used to be?
Que sera sera, whatever will be will be,
the future's not our to see, que sera sera.

And what a beautiful bag in which to carry your quilting widgets.


While Teresa quilted, I tightened a screw under the throne de pooper.


It was a beautiful night topping off a beautiful day.


The next morning, it was up and at' em' as we hit the road for home.

Only minutes from the fairgrounds in the town of Goshen, there's a gun turret used in the times of Al Copone so the town could protect itself.


Then our drive went from farm fields . . .


to city fields . . .


to city skylines . . .


from farm gas prices
to city gas prices,
to home.


In case it isn't obvious already, I love my sister to bits!!!!!
Love, Your Lovey

2 comments:

Teresa said...

WOW!!! What GREAT pictures!!!! You are sooooo good at this MonaQ!!! Yes, it was a absolutely perrrrrrfect Q/T-weekend in one of my favorite spots in the U.S. I especially love the photo of your Airstream under the lightpost...just right and cozy! I love the photo of you and I at the end..and I'm soooooo happy to see that I ONLY have 2 rolls!!! Thanks for loving me and sharing your wonderful life of travel with me...xoxoxoxoxoxox Lovey T

MQClark said...

You were fun to photograph because you fully participated in the picture - just like the auction.
Love Right Back At Ya Lovey,Q